The Redlands Area Historical Society held its annual Heritage Awards ceremony recently at the Contemporary Club building.
The annual event held since 1975 honors historic homes and structures that are at least 75 years old and in exemplary condition. The Heritage Awards ceremony for 2020 normally held in the spring was postponed due to the pandemic.
This year’s ceremony was a hybrid combining an in-person ceremony while simultaneously broadcasting via Zoom allowing for a greater-than-ever attendance.
The Heritage Awards
- John O. and Minnie E. Riddel home: 758 S. Center St. (1894). Chuck and Julie Mendoza owners.
- John Milton and Caroline Hartzell Cadwell cottage: 1324 E. Citrus Ave. (circa 1886). Kirk and Ellen Keeler, owners
- John McIntosh home: 332 S. Eureka St. (1889). Douglas and Lisa Barbee, owners.
- Sara M. Curtis house/Hoagland family home: 310 Myrtle St. (1911). Christopher and Kristy Reed, owners.
- Dr. Walter B. Power home: 303 Mariposa Drive (1923). Brooks and Krystal Bailey.
- Harry H. Ford Home: 127 Garden Hill Drive (1932). Greg and Gina Malachowski, owners.
- Greenway Adobe: 726 Chestnut Ave. (1945). Sheri Greene, owner.
John O. and Minnie E. Riddel Home, 758 S. Center St., built in 1894
The Riddel Home has been carefully restored
The John O. and Minnie Riddel home at 758 S. Center St. was built in 1894. It is now owned by Chuck and Julie Mendoza.
“John Riddel might not recognize the house he built in 1894,” said the society’s report. “For a majority of the home’s lifetime, this once two-story Queen Anne at 758 S. Center St. has slipped through our consciousness as a one-story, mostly stuccoed version of its original self.
“Elements of the Victorian era remain, some hidden with others clearly visible to the discerning eye.”
John Oscar Riddel was born on June 21, 1862, near New Haven, Connecticut, where he lived until moving to California around 1890. He established himself in Redlands as prominent young businessman. According to “Illustrated Redlands,” Riddel spent four years as the assistant to Redlands City Engineer E. A. Tuttle.
He grew oranges and lemons on nearly 20 acres in the oldest grove in Redlands proper, a seedling orchard on the corner of Center Street and Olive Avenue. The 1912 city directory also noted Riddel was in the olive and olive oil business. He purchased 2½ acres from Lee H. Utt at Palm Avenue and Center Street in November 1893 for $3,300 (in today’s dollars a …….